Dear Ambrose: The Easter Day services at my church were glorious. I understand that Easter lasts for fifty days. How can we keep the Easter feast? Singing Alleluias!
You are right! Easter lasts for fifty days. That is why we call it The Great Fifty Days of Easter. Too often parishes put away all of the Easter trappings after Easter Day.
Here are some suggestions:
- The Paschal Candle remains lighted throughout the season.
- Use the Easter Opening Acclamation for the whole season.
- Include at least ONE Easter hymn each Sunday.
- If your parish uses altar flowers, make them a little splashier for the season.
- Offer some special musical events for these fifty days. Schedule a hymn sing after a potluck supper.
- If you have instrumentalists available use them more often. Bring in a trumpet player to make the services more festive.
- Sing the Pascha Nostrum from Wonder, Love, and Praise as the Song of Praise. It is a tune folks know and love to sing.
- During the Prayers of the People, use the phrase “Alleluia! Christ is Risen” as the response to petitions.
- Omit the Confession during the fifty days.
Alleluia! Christ is risen! The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!